macaroons // coffee press // mother's day card // vase // floral phone case // bow USB stick // sunglasses // drop earrings // silhouette print // Soludos // pajamas // cheese assortment // wine pairing kitchen towels // cupcakes // "i heart u mom" card // cookbook // infused water bottle // yoga mat // hair brush // cosmetic case // mug // Birchbox // pitcher
Mother's Day is right around the corner! Here are a few things we're loving for every kind of mom. If your mom is a yogi or health nut, we've picked this affordable yoga mat and Williams-Sonoma's Healthy Dish of the Day cookbook. There's also a subscription to Birchbox for the beauty enthuisistc or these J. Crew pajamas and adorable lipstick stain mug for the cozy type.
Everyone needs some time off and it's vacation time for us! We'll finally be together and away next week enjoying some much needed R&R. Keep visiting the blog and check in for some exciting new collaborations we'll be posting once we're back.
1) Mother Daughter Dress Makers: This article is about the cutest mother daughter duo who make paper dresses from red carpet and runway inspiration. They are extremely talented!
My family is typically dispersed all over the country: New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Colorado and California, so we do not get to be together very often. But, when we do, it's bound to be a good time. For my aunts 50th birthday she insisted we get together and chose Central Coast California to celebrate. Here is a little taste of the amazing long weekend we had!
Where to stay
We stayed at The Fogcatcher Inn, a quaint little inn steps from Moonstone Beach. We were close enough to fall asleep to the sounds of crashing waves and feel an ocean breeze. They provide a delicious breakfast every morning and on Friday evenings host wine tastings featuring local wineries.
What to do
My sister decided that we had to drive down the coast on the scenic California Route 1. While I was hesitant at first because it is twice as long as driving down the main highway, the spectacular views down this historic route were definitely worth the carsickness we all felt winding down 123 miles of edgy coastline.
Hearst Castle, less than twenty minutes from where we were staying in Cambria, is a National and California landmark estate that was built by William Randolph Hearst. While I didn't love the architecture and interior design of the main house, the two pools were breath taking and very Great Gatsbyesque. This enchanting private estate turned national park is worth a trip!
What to eat
On the drive down the coast we stopped for lunch at Ventana a resort and restaurant in Big Sur. I had a flavorful salad with quinoa, fresh vegetables, chickpeas, and a ginger dressing.
My favorite meal of the trip was our dinner at Robin's Restaurant in downtown Cambria. Well known for their globally inspired cuisine as well as their impressive selection of vegetarian dishes. I had Nori crusted Silken tofu served on a bed of black rice with cauliflower and shiitake mushrooms. It was amazing and I'd definitely recommend it!
My most adventurous meal was our dinner at The Sea Chest Oyster Bar and Restaurant. I decided I would finally try seafood and shared a scallops dish with my mom. Though I was nervous, I thought it was light and delicious. This cash only, no reservation seafood restaurant was really an amazing meal.
What to drink
We had a lot of fun trying all of the different wineries and breweries in the area. In downtown Cambria we loved the Moonstone Cellars tasting room and the Cambria Beer Company.
It was a perfect weekend filled with family time, good food, and amazing wine. I highly recommend Cambria to anyone looking for a relaxing and quaint town in the gorgeous Central Coast California.
over night kit // 100 all-time favorite movies book // Harry's Valentine's Day shave kit // wallet // Humans of New York // toiletry bags // boxers // Jawbone up // his and her boxer set // headphones // Amazon gift card // hat // Nike sneakers // man things pouch // Instagram calendar // Apple TV // card // Starbucks gift card // handkerchief // Jambox // gloves // Art of Shaving kit // shirt // Duty book // Andy Warhol book
We're getting closer! Valentine's Day is this Friday. Here are a few gift ideas for your boyfriend, best friend, dad, or any special man in your life.
Hit the gym
Grab a friend and try a new exercise class. I'll be heading over to Gold's Gym in Burlington. K and I tried a class here once. It was more of an ab workout than anything else because I was hysterically laughing the whole time. Sounds lame, but what better way to start the day than releasing some endorphins!
Mani & Pedi
Balance Day Spa has four locations: Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, and Kernersville. Just stepping through the door to one of their spa's you will feel refreshed and rejuvenated. The atmosphere is relaxing, calming, and very zen. I've mentioned it before, but getting a manicure (or pedicure) automatically puts me in an amazing mood.
Get dolled up
A curling rod, bold lip, that perfect top, and a positive attitude required. No need to pout and hide on this couple centered day, get out and have fun looking your best.
Throw a cocktail & dinner party
There is the cutest little wine store right off campus called Lowell's Wine List. They offer tastings, classes, help with food pairing, and discount case prices. They also have a porch out front where everyone tends to gather, sit back, and enjoy a glass of wine.
One of our friends told us about this idea where everyone brings two bottles of a specific type of wine, if it were my choice I would pick Malbec themed. One of the bottles is put out for everyone to taste, the other bottle is put to the side. Everyone anonymously votes on their favorite, and the lucky girl who brought the winning bottle gets to keep all of the other bottles!
Go to a concert
Keep the fun going by heading out to a concert with a group of friends. My friends and I will going to Lake Street Dive at Cat's Cradle. A guaranteed good time, full of dancing, good music, and the potential to meet someone new.
I hope something sparks your fancy and inspires you to do something new this Valentine's Day!
1) Mrs. O is a blog dedicated to the Michelle Obama's impeccable style. She is the queen of put together and looks amazing whether she's in J. Crew or J. Mendel.
(Photographed wearing Marchesa at the Kennedy Center Honors in December)
2) A TED talk featuring Eric Whitacre, "A Virtual Choir 2,000 Voices Strong" . This video is unlike anything I have ever seen.
3) If you haven't heard of the Aerie Real campaign, this article is a must. American Eagle's underwear line, Aerie, emphasizes the importance of untouched photos and real women.
4) It's that time of year again! The Sundance Film Festival is currently happening in Park City, Utah. If you're a little behind on the Sundance updates (like me) here is a list of the seven most anticipated movies.
5) Ralph Lauren just revealed the 2014 Winter Olympic outfits….what do you think of these over the top sweaters?
To read the featured articles, click the photos above or the underlined text in the description.
tote bag // laptop case // wallet // Nivea hand cream // headphones // Post-it notes // sunglasses // iPhone // pencil case // Orbit gum // Kind bar // EOS lip balm // assignment pad
I never realized how much stuff I carry around in my school bag everyday! EOS in mint is currently my favorite hydrating lip balm, I highly recommend it if you have not tried it already. I switch up which tote I use for class often, but always go back to the classic Longchamp because it's the perfect size and it comes in a million different colors. Kind bars are a great snack to hold me over through long days of back to back classes, the almond coconut one is my favorite.
tote bag // sunglasses // scarf // gold planner // to-go cup // orbit // iPad cover // essie cuticle oil // chapstick // rosebud salve // L'Occitane hand cream // blue bic pen // sharpie pen // notebook // hair clips
I just got my black Joie tote bag for Christmas and it's quickly become a favorite. It's the perfect size and fits everything from my notebooks to my laptop and iPad. An absolute necessity of mine is my MyAgenda mini. I've been using this planner since my senior year of high school and I don't see myself looking for a new one anytime soon. I used to get the desktop size, but this year switched to the mini. Though I love both, I would recommend the mini if you like to have your planner with you at all times (like me!). Also, be prepared for some ridicule since the company is called "MomAgenda" - I promise it's worth it. Similar to my MyAgenda mini, I always like to keep chapstick, hand cream, and a casual lip gloss in all of my bags. These are definitely my top three favorites.
1) Well, I am officially a blogger.
2) Considering only one semester left of college is what separates me from the “real world” I think getting a job is a pretty reasonable top priority.
3) Something K and I are doing “together”. I will most likely attempt/fail and cheer her on when she actually does it.
4) Not exactly sure how I am going to tackle this but, in general, I want to be more of a risk taker and less dependent on my friends/family.
5) I hate hate hate how much I use my phone and feel this need to constantly check it. I want to “be” with the people I am with and not lost in some cyberspace gossip.
6) I really love a good road trip and there are so many cities in the U.S. I have never been but am dying to explore.
7) I envy how both of my beautiful sisters barely wear makeup day to day, but when they do wear makeup look so GLAM.
8) This is very broad but, if I have time to sit around and realize how lucky/fortunate I am, I definitely have time to volunteer and give back. Not sure what I want to do in particular…..would love some suggestions!
9) Fish...something I have NEVER been into and makes me squirm at the thought. Regardless, I am trying to broaden my vegetarian (5 years and counting) soon to be pescatarian diet.
10) *blush* Young men of NYC and currently the piedmont-triad area I am single and ready to mingle.
1) 2014 is off to a great start because M and I have officially launched our blog!
2) I’ve been waiting to work in film since I was a middle schooler and first discovered iMovie. I am beyond excited to start my career, but am incredibly anxious to see where it will all begin.
3) Ooh, my half marathon. If you told me this was going to be on my to do list for 2014 I would have laughed in your face. For the past 20 years, I’ve been going off my grandma’s advice that “women should only run if it’s an emergency”. But, in 2013, M and I joined a gym and have been avid athletes ever since. Something I never thought I’d be! So, I’m pushing us because I’m confident we can do it.
4) I am a very shy person and like to blend into my surroundings. I want to work on being more outgoing and less afraid to put myself out there.
5) It’s imperative that I watch every Oscar nominated film before March 2nd. I don’t trust people who give their two cents about award ceremonies without having seen the movies. I also want to watch as many past Oscar winners as I can.
6) Because I’m about to be an “adult” working in the real world, I need to know what’s going on. It's time to switch my People for the New York Times.
7) Ugh, my Italian side of the family would be disappointed. But, I need to start treating my skin right and it starts with sunscreen.
8) It’s so important to stay grounded. I want to make that a New Years resolution so I'll always remember.
9) I obsess over pictures. I change the frames in my room more times in a year than I am willing to admit. Regardless, I am so bad about taking pictures and that needs to change.
10) I love to cook! Simple as that.